DVDuell.de Forum Foren-Übersicht DVDuell.de Forum
..::: Blu-ray | DVD | Film | Kino :::..

FAQFAQ   SuchenSuchen   MitgliederlisteMitgliederliste   BenutzergruppenBenutzergruppen   RegistrierenRegistrieren 
 ProfilProfil   Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesenEinloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen   LoginLogin 

"Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse"

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen    DVDuell.de Forum Foren-Übersicht -> Code-1 ::: USA | Kanada :::..
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen :: Nächstes Thema anzeigen  
Autor Nachricht
Mortimer

BeitragVerfasst am: 17 Okt 2007 20:59    Titel: "Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse" Antworten mit Zitat

Zitat:
Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse on 20th November 2007.

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse is an engrossing, unwavering look back at Francis Ford Coppola’s chaotic, catastrophe-plagued Vietnam production, Apocalypse Now. Filled with juicy gossip and a wonderful behind-the-scenes look at the stressful world of moviemaking, the documentary mixes on-location home movies shot in the Philippines by Eleanor Coppola, the director’s wife, with revealing interviews with the cast and crew, shot 10 years later.

Released theatrically in 1991, the documentary comes to DVD with the following features:
Commentary by Francis and Eleanor Coppola
”CODA: Thirty Years Later” follow-up documentary
Eleanor Coppola introduces CODA: Thirty Years Later

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=66149

Eine sehr schöne Nachricht, kann ich da nur sagen! Very Happy
Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
4LOM
Administrator

BeitragVerfasst am: 17 Okt 2007 21:38    Titel: Re: "Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse" Antworten mit Zitat

Mortimer hat folgendes geschrieben:
Eine sehr schöne Nachricht, kann ich da nur sagen! Very Happy

Da schließe ich mich doch an. Hieß es nicht, daß F.F. Coppola von der Doku nichts mehr wissen wolle und sie daher nicht im "Apocalypse Now - The Complete Dossier"-DVD-Set enthalten war? Und jetzt kommt das ganz mit Audiokommentar. Aber egal, Hauptsache, die Doku erscheint. Ich habe sie nur ein- oder zweimal gesehen, war aber ziemlich hingerissen davon. Wirklich erstaunlich, wie chaotisch es bei den Dreharbeiten abging, welchen Kampf Coppola austragen mußte, um diesen Film in den Kasten zu bekommen.
Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: 17 Okt 2007 21:43    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Ich finde die Doku auch absolut sehenswert. Habe zwar ein gutes Bootleg aber bei diesem Film werde ich auf jeden Fall zuschlagen.
4LOM
Administrator

BeitragVerfasst am: 22 Okt 2007 13:25    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Einen mehr als interessanten Kommentar von Regisseur Hickenlooper zur Veröffentlichung findet man hier:

Zitat:
Uhm, guys, I only found out about this the same way Jeff did. Last night while surfing the net. I haven't talked to Fax, but I am really surprised by this development. The only thing I know is that it is coming out on Paramount. I am also frankly bummed that I wasn't asked to do a commentary. The promotion of this film was always frustrtating to me, even back in '91. Eleanor did very little to ever mention Fax or my name when she promoted the picture. When she went on the TV talk show circuit, understandably everyone wanted to talk to her, but she never once mentioned Fax or me. YES, of course, she narrates the film and she shot the raw footage in the Phillipines. But the fact that she narrates the story is only because of a huge fight I had with the producers and Showtime. My father bought me Eleanor's book "Notes" on my sixteenth birthday and I loved it. It's how I fell in love with "Apocalypse Now." When I was invited to write and direct "Hearts of Darkness," Showtime's plan was to make a one hour TV special called "Apocalypse Now Revisited." My editors Michael Greer, Jay Miracle and I saw that the film had much larger potential. I saw it because of her diary and we all saw it because of these audio tapes my assistant editor Shana Hagan found in a box up at Francis' vinyard. Anyway, to make a long story short I had to fight and fight to get Steve Hewitt and George Zaloom and even Fax to some extent to allow Eleanor's diary to be the narraative thru line. On top of that Fax and I clearly cut the picture together and made a story out of all this crazy footage that had lingered in storage for thirteen years before we got involved. Eleanor never had a clue what to do with it and to be fair to her she was wonderful in allowing us to tell the story as we saw fit. And to Francis' credit he signed off on the picture. I was amazed that a man so powerful would have the courage to let us portray him without any interference whatsoever. It is a testament to the greatness of his character and spirit. And I say that sincerely. What irks me is that when the film came out Eleanor became a bit of a credit hog. And now with the release of the DVD and not even being asked to do a commentary is kind of a slap in the face from my point of view. It also saddens me that I spent many hours of time and energy talking to the folks at Criterion who are dying to put it out. I even flew myself to Denver to have lunch with Francis to talk him into it. That was three years ago. He said he'd get back to me but I guess he's been to busy. So here we are. I found out about it last night and it's coming out on Paramount DVD. I only hope that it has it's 1.33 aspect ration. A lot of theaters mistakenly projected it at 1.85 and cut off some of the titles and images. Maybe someday Criterion will be able to get it and I'll be able to do the commentary and tell all these hilarious stories about my encounter with Denis Jacob who stole the negative when Francis was in post. About how the all the footage we were cutting was almost lost in the Universal backlot fire and that our editing trailers were only saved because the "Back to the Future" clocktower absorbed the flames as a kind of firewall. There's also some funny stories about my meeting with Harvey Keitel and Sean Penn while they were working out and trying to convince Harvey to sign off on allowing us to use his likeness and to do an interview. It was certainly a moment to remember. Harvey is the best.

Weitere Statements:

Zitat:
I would be happy to do a screening of HEARTS OF DARKNESS. It would be cool to invite Fax and George Zaloom, Doug Claybourne and Les Mayfield as well (all producers). Doug by the way was the second a.d. on "Apocalypse Now." He has amazing stories. If we did screen it at the New Beverly, I would love to show it on a double bill with PICTURE THIS which I have on 16mm. I have a couple of 35mm prints of HEARTS including a version never seen before with the great actress Michael Learned (Mrs. Walton) narrating Eleanor's Diary notes. We did this version because we were concerned about the timber of Eleanor's voice. When Francis saw it he insisted Eleanor narrate it and he was absolutely right. Anyway, I'd be happy to do a double bill of both films. Someone provide the theater and my assistant will show up with the prints.

Zitat:
Having just viewed the packaging of my film, I have to say I am really pissed off. And I am not pissed off at Paramount. I spoke to Home Video guy Michael Harkin today and he told me Paramount had nothing to do with the packaging or mastering of the DVD. It was ALL delivered by Zoetrope. So this is all Francis' doing and he never even bothered to return my emails or phone calls. The last one in May reminding him about the Criterion offer. And now I have just seen the packaging and I am really disappointed. By writing at the bottom of the package "Eleanor Coppola's Follow-Up Documentary" there is an implication that HEARTS was Eleanor Coppola's documentary, period. Which kind of bomastically implies that Fax Bahr and I were little more than ghost writer/directors. The truth is Eleanor Coppola was NOT INVOLVED AT ALL IN THE MAKING OF "HEARTS OF DARKNESS." She saw the film once we had FINISHED IT and before we showed it to Francis. I honestly don't think she had one comment. Well yes she did. She asked us to remove Dennis Hopper's remark that Francis was supplying him with cocaine on a daily basis. She also asked us to remove Grey Fredrickson's remark that Francis was almost arrested when military police showed up because the real dead bodies being used on the Kurz compaound were actually stolen from a local morgue. That was it. There was absolutely no creative input from Eleanor into the making of HEARTS other than the wonderful RAW FOOTAGE she shot in 1976. I am assuming Fax Bahr's and my name are still in the credit block but it wouldn't suprise me, by the way this whole thing has been handled so arrogantly by Francis, if it wasn't. We did happen to win Emmys for directing and writing. I gotta tell you guys, I worship Francis and his general support and enthusiasm for creative expression and filmmaker's independence -- especially in light of his doing YOUNG YOUTHFUL YOUTH. I just find it a tad bit hypocritical that he would so blatantly disregard the two principal creative forces behind HEARTS OF DARKNESS.

Zitat:
I better stop shooting off my mouth or Francis will sick Don Corleone's ghost on me. But one last thing about this whole mess. And I realize in the big scheme of things, it is probably in the end just a big oversight. Regardless, I'll finally say that without the producer George Zaloom, who is one of the brightest and most dynamic producers I ever worked with, without him NONE of HEARTS OF DARKNESS would have ever happened. It's because of his passion for film and his dream of making this film that it happened. He also gave me my first big break, as he gave Peyton Reed his first break, Fax Bahr his first break, John Schultz his first break. In the late 80s and early 90s he and Les Mayfield were running a mini Zoetrope over there on the back lot of Universal. Zalloom/Mayfield invented the EPK, the behind-the-scenes. I had barely held a camera in my hands and he had me running around with Oliver Stone doing a behind-the-scenes for THE DOORS. He gave a chance to anyone with passion and talent. He is a great guy and I'm sorry I've lost touch with him. Anyway, he should have done the commentary as well. WIthout Zaloom there would be nothing to celebrate Nov. 20th. Thanks for listening. Over and out.

Zitat:
Eleanor's title in the credits is "Director of Documentary Footage" which is just another way of saying Director of Photography. On a documentary, the director is traditionally the one who shapes the footage or directs the narrative through mountains and mountains of material - which is exactly what my editors and I did with my taking the lead on the tone and the visceral aspects of the story. And no I put together Hearts of Darkness when I was twenty-five and before I joined the DGA. So I am basically at Francis' mercy on this. I am now also concerned Francis may have made some editorial changes to the film. Why I say this is because the last time I spoke to him he hinted at the fact that he wanted to make some alterations (so he would look better - in my view he never looked bad in the film but heroic). On Monday I am going to call Michael Harkin at Paramount to see if I can get my hands on a screening copy. If he has made changes this story shall regretfully get more interesting...

Zitat:
Eleanor's voice is the film. Clearly. It was my hard fought intention. The film is her story, her exeperience. However that does not mean she put together the film, nor does it mean that she knew how to articulate her own experience. Look, this is splitting hairs. I'm just disappointed that Francis didn't even consult me about this when he reassured me on numerous occassions that he would. And now I'm worried that he's made editorial changes to the picture without my input when he said he would. It's that simple.
Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen
4LOM
Administrator

BeitragVerfasst am: 24 Okt 2007 14:00    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Es gibt ja die Befürchtung, daß Coppola an der Doku rumschnippeln könnte. Eine Passage, die immer wieder angeführt wird, handelt von der "French Plantantation scene". In der Doku begründet Coppola, warum sie es nicht in die Kinofassung von "Apocalypse Now" geschafft hat: Er war einfach unzufirieden damit. Dies steht im Widerspruch dazu, daß sie in "Apocalypse Now.Redux", der entgültigen und (angeblich) intendierten Schnittfassung, enthalten ist.

Die Passage aus "Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse" kann man sich bei Youtube anschauen.

Mit Weinen scheint sich Herr Coppola ja damals schon ausgekannt zu haben. Smile
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: 24 Okt 2007 17:21    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Ich habe mir letztens den sechsstündigen "Workprint" von Apocalypse Now ansehen dürfen und das ist echt noch ein ganz anderer Film. Ich kann allerdings nicht behaupten dass er mir besser als Redux gefallen hätte denn es ist wie der Name schon sagt nunmal ein "workprint" und kein fertiger film. Zum beispiel gibts auch keine wirkliche filmmusik sondern nur mehr lieder von den Doors (was mir als Doors Fan allerdings gut gefallen hat Smile)
4LOM
Administrator

BeitragVerfasst am: 25 Okt 2007 00:40    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Surprised Na tom, wie hast Du das denn schon wieder angestellt?
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: 25 Okt 2007 14:23    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

siehe PM
4LOM
Administrator

BeitragVerfasst am: 07 Nov 2007 15:11    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

The New York Observer hat Hickenloopers Unmut über die Veröffentlichung in einem kurzen Artikel zusammengefasst.
4LOM
Administrator

BeitragVerfasst am: 10 Nov 2007 14:35    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

DVD-Kritik bei DVDBeaver ... und zum Glück keinerlei Hinweise auf Kürzungen oder Änderungen am Film.
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen    DVDuell.de Forum Foren-Übersicht -> Code-1 ::: USA | Kanada :::.. Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Seite 1 von 1

Gehe zu:  
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.