DVDuell.de Forum Foren-Übersicht DVDuell.de Forum
..::: Blu-ray | DVD | Film | Kino :::..

FAQFAQ   SuchenSuchen   MitgliederlisteMitgliederliste   BenutzergruppenBenutzergruppen   RegistrierenRegistrieren 
 ProfilProfil   Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesenEinloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen   LoginLogin 

Peckinpahs "Major Dundee" im Mai

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen    DVDuell.de Forum Foren-Übersicht -> Code-1 ::: USA | Kanada :::..
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen :: Nächstes Thema anzeigen  
Autor Nachricht
4LOM
Administrator

BeitragVerfasst am: 23 März 2005 17:50    Titel: Peckinpahs "Major Dundee" im Mai Antworten mit Zitat

Viele Details sind leider noch nicht bekannt, aber Sony Pictures veröffentlicht am 31. Mai 2005 Sam Peckinpahs "Sierra Chariba / Major Dundee" [USA 1965]. Enthalten sein wird ein 136-minütiger "Extended Cut". Das Cover gibt es schon mal bei DVD-Answers.

Weitere Titel, die ebenfalls am 31. Mai 2005 veröffentlicht werden, sind "König von Hawaii / Diamond Head" [USA 1963, Guy Green], "Mit der Waffe in der Hand / Gun Fury" [USA 1953, Raoul Walsh], "Texas Cyclone" [USA 1932, D. Ross Lederman] und die TV-Produktion "Banjo Hackett: Roamin’ Free" [USA 1975, Andrew V. McLaglen].
Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen
FHM

BeitragVerfasst am: 25 März 2005 12:33    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

In Robert Harris neuer Kolumne bei thedigitalbits ist ein neues Interview mit Crover Crisp von Columbia enthalten. Dort verrät Crisp einiges über die neuen Szenen von Major Dundee, außerdem wird umfangreiches Bonusmaterial angekündigt, was in der bisherigen Pressemitteilung nicht erwähnt wird.

A Few (More) Words with… Columbia Pictures' Grover Crisp

RAH: It's now been four months since we last spoke about the work you were completing in restoring Sam Peckinpah's Major Dundee, and I know a lot of people are eager to see it.

GC: I am really excited about it and anxious for people to see it. It appears in theaters beginning April 8 in New York, April 15 in other cities, and on DVD around the end of May, so the wait won't be too long.

RAH: I know this is a longer version never before released. Can you tell us a little more about the additional footage?

GC: There are three completely new scenes in the Extended Version, which is what we settled on calling it. In addition, there are bits and pieces of typical Peckinpah touches sprinkled throughout. Things like isolated shots of children observing the adult characters, somewhat like in The Wild Bunch. In all, there is new material strung out over ten of the sixteen reels of the picture. I think the new footage adds dimension and depth to the character of Dundee, the relationship of Dundee and Tyreen (the Richard Harris character), but definitely there are key plot points that now make sense. For example, there is the character of the Indian scout Riago, who is talked about constantly, and seen, throughout the film, with Dundee and Potts (James Coburn) at odds over Riago's "loyalty". Dundee doesn't trust him, but Potts does. In the Extended Version, we not only learn which side he is on at the end of the film, but see what happens to him, and in rather graphic detail. In the original shorter version, the character just disappears and is never mentioned or heard from again. This might also have been a censor issue, as clearly some other things that were cut probably were. In the shorter version, Ryan, the young bugler who narrates the film, seems to go off and spend the night with a young woman in the Mexican village sequence. In the Extended Version, there is no doubt. A number of things like that crop up throughout the film, in addition to the complete scenes that are now back in.

RAH: Did you come across anything else?

GC: As we were in the process of finishing the feature, I started to look at the trailer material that we had gathered together. Bill Karydes, on my staff, had researched trailers or any featurettes that could be put on the DVD. So, when I was watching the collection of trailers and foreign main title elements, there was a "trailer" that was mislabeled. It turned out to be a substantial fragment of what would have been an exhibitor's promo reel, something to send around to exhibitors to whet their appetite and, hopefully, book the film. So, I was watching this reel, which was just a loose collection of scenes that are in the film and, about ten minutes into it, suddenly there is a scene I had never seen before, but one that I knew had been shot. It is a knife fight between Potts (Coburn) and Sgt. Gomez that takes place during the nighttime celebration in the Mexican village sequence. The nighttime sequence is not in the original short version at all, but is in the Extended Version, though seriously truncated. This knife fight was clearly the center piece of the sequence.

RAH: Were you able to integrate it into the full restored version?

GC: Unfortunately, no. The problem is that the sequence as it is in the promo reel is not complete; it starts and ends abruptly. It is essentially the middle part of the sequence. So, we didn't have the scenes or shots or audio to bridge in and out of this fight scene. But, I must say, it makes for a great little "deleted" scene for the bonus material on the DVD.

RAH: There will be bonus material, then, besides the trailer?

GC: There will be about an hour of added value footage: outtakes, the deleted scene mentioned, the original trailer, a newly-created Extended Version trailer narrated by L.Q. Jones, an essay about the making and unmaking of the film, art stills, posters, commentaries, an extended excerpt from a documentary on Peckinpah, some additional shots deleted from scenes that are in the film, a featurette in both black and white and color, additional promo reel surviving fragments.

RAH: Two different featurettes?

GC: No. There was a featurette made at the time of production called Riding for a Fall, which was basically about the stuntmen and their activities. It unfortunately no longer exists in 35mm, only in 16mm black and white reduction. It is certainly interesting and has some behind-the-scenes shots of the crew and their camera set-ups. We managed to locate a color version which is, believe it or not, only in 8mm, so naturally not in as good a shape as the 16mm. But we thought it interesting to put both on the disc anyway. It adds more value.

RAH: All of this sounds really great - this is the kind of product we look for from SPHE.

GC: We have high hopes for the film in theaters and hope they also like the DVD when it comes out. The fans are owed top quality and we're trying to give it to them with this.

RAH: One of the most important changes for this new version, which we have not discussed before, is that you have taken the rather dramatic step of completely replacing the original music score with a newly-composed one. How did that come about?

GC: In a very odd way, actually. I screened an early answer print for the key Peckinpah historians and scholars, including Nick Redman, Paul Seydor, David Weddle, Garner Simmons, just to show them what we were creating and also for background for their commentary on the DVD. This would have been late November. They had not seen this longer version before, but of course needed to for their commentary. In the ensuing conversation, the subject of the music score came up and it was evidently a sore spot with Peckinpah in that he felt it was the wrong type of music for his film, and that it seriously hurt the film. He had no input into the score at that point because the film had been completely taken away from him by then. The original Daniele Amfitheatrof score is a fairly standard action Western cowboys-vs-indians-type of score, and Dundee is not that kind of film. This is not a criticism of Amfitheatrof, by the way, who basically just did what he was hired to do - which was create a score that would help the studio "sell" the film as an entertaining cowboy action movie. But the film, as you know, is anything but that. The sentiment in the discussion was that it was too bad the score couldn't be replaced with one more akin to the actual themes of the film and more along the lines of the scores for Peckinpah's other films where he did have input. Especially since this was a new version closer to Peckinpah's original. I understood the issues with the original score for the same reasons as the director and everyone else, but actually replacing it was not even a remote idea. So, we bounced the idea off of the legal department and the music department at the studio and, essentially, the answer was there was no reason why it couldn't be done. With that decision, we had serious discussions whether or not we should try this, not just from an ethical perspective, but historical and aesthetic perspectives. The original soundtrack and score had already been preserved and restored, and would still exist. But, in the end, it seemed that the film itself deserved a chance to be the best it could be, and a new score combined with the additional footage might help bring it closer to Peckinpah's original vision.

RAH: This was pretty late in the process to be thinking about this, wasn't it?

GC: No kidding. I was ready to go in to oversee the HD transfer in December and this was still an infant idea. But all involved wanted to try this approach and the theatrical division releasing the film endorsed it in a big way, the biggest supporter being Michael Schlesinger, who oversees distribution of our library titles, so we decided to look into it.

RAH: Where did you find a composer who could do this, do it quickly, and do a good job?

GC: I was aware of a young composer named Christopher Caliendo, who had scored a silent film for Columbia a few years earlier, plus a film for Turner Classic Movies and a few other things. Importantly, though, was that I was aware of his own personal compositions for guitar, flute, chamber music, jazz, calypso -- quite a varied background. I also knew of his classical orchestral endeavors. So, I contacted him to see if he was interested and sent him a tape of the film. He immediately came back to me with what he felt the film was about thematically, and he nailed in a few sentences what the film is about. So, I thought maybe we have a good fit here. It was an extremely tight schedule. He had to compose about 80 minutes of music, orchestrate it, get the musicians together, and then he even conducted the orchestra himself over a short two days of recording in January. So, we are talking about five to six weeks from just thinking about it to actually having it finished. I think the end result is great. Christopher, in my opinion, really rose to the occasion and created an excellent score. If you wanted something to compare it to, and without detracting from its own uniqueness, I would say it is in the vain of similar Jerry Goldsmith or Elmer Bernstein or Alex North scores for similar pictures. Big where it needs to be, intimate where it needs to be, but really full-bodied and complex, fitting its subject perfectly. It captures the internal discord within the character of Dundee and the relationship of the other characters. And the true test for any film score, for me at least, is if it holds up on listening to it by itself, and this one really does. Key Peckinpah enthusiasts and film score experts who have seen the film and heard this new soundtrack are quite ecstatic about the achievement.

RAH: I commend you for taking the initiative to get this film re-scored, since the old one was rather notorious for its inappropriateness. But there might also be some potential criticism for having created this new soundtrack.

GC: This was not a decision made lightly. This just happens to be a very unique situation, a set of circumstances where we have the documented proof that would even support an idea like this. And this is not something I think purists - of which I am one, by the way - should worry will become a commonplace thing in the future. That, I couldn't imagine, and I certainly can't think of another title within the Sony library that would fit this circumstance. One reason I have always insisted that this cannot be called a director's cut is because it isn't. On the other hand, the original short version wasn't the director's cut, either, and for the very reasons that we have attempted to correct with both picture and sound. So, in the end, which version is closer to the director's intentions with this particular film and closer to the achievements of his later career path, which are clearly traceable? I think the answer is there for people to decide on their own because we never envisioned replacing the original score and soundtrack without also making the original available at the same time.

RAH: So, you mean both tracks will be on the DVD?

GC: Absolutely. People can debate the ethics or aesthetics of our decision, which is good, but it would have been irresponsible and, I think, unfair to ignore the original soundtrack's existence, which is why it is on the disc. Consumers can watch the film whichever way they choose. Remember, the original soundtrack has been preserved and restored to the best quality available and will always be around. And if theaters want to run prints with the original mono track, we can provide that. Another point I should make, and this is very important, is that the new soundtrack is only for the new Extended Version of the film. The original short released version of the film from 1965 still retains, and always will, the original mono soundtrack with the original music score, unchanged. That is what that film was and is. The new music score was composed specifically for the Extended Version, a version not previously released or seen, which is why it is so unique. I think these are important aspects to keep in mind. But if people, after listening to both, don't immediately see the validation of what we were trying to achieve, I will be greatly surprised. The new soundtrack is that good.

RAH: I can't remember a situation like this before. This is bound to be quite a conversation piece, a must-have DVD.

GC: Well, this is not exactly precedent setting, since scores have been replaced before, just not for some time. And composing a new score for a film is not exactly a new idea in terms of the history of cinema. Films in the silent period had scores written for them at the time, but many were altered even in the period in which they were being exhibited. How many times has Metropolis had a new score composed to it over the years? In any case, I just hope people watch, and listen, to this film and approach it with the openness it deserves. It has been overlooked for decades, mostly because of the things that happened to it after it was taken away from its primary creator - Peckinpah. This was our honest attempt to bring it back to as close as we feel we can to what the director intended.

RAH: This is one of the most anticipated studio catalogue title in some time. There is huge interest in it. I can't wait to see it in theaters and on the upcoming DVD.

4LOM
Administrator

BeitragVerfasst am: 25 März 2005 23:59    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

@FHM: Danke für die Infos. Die neue Harris-Kolumne hatte ich nämlich noch nicht gelesen. Wäre auch sehr schade gewesen, wenn dieser Peckinpah ohne Extras veröffentlicht worden wäre.
Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen
HAL

BeitragVerfasst am: 06 Apr 2005 22:05    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Eine Kritik der neuen Fassung von "Major Dundee" hat DVD Savant verfasst.
Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
HAL

BeitragVerfasst am: 26 Apr 2005 12:46    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Laut dem Film-Dienst wird "Major Dundee" demnächst auch in der rekonstrierten Fassung in die deutschen Kinos gelangen. Eine RC2-DVD ist dann für Ende des Jahres geplant.

Zitat:
Sam Peckinpah konnte vor 40 Jahren seinen Western „Major Dundee“ („Sierra Chariba“) nur unter großen Schwierigkeiten fertig stellen: Wegen Budget-Überschreitungen wurde ihm das Drehen zusätzlicher Szenen gestrichen; Columbia brachte den Film 1965 in einer Fassung ins Kino, die kürzer war als die ursprünglich vom Regisseur gewünschte. Unterstützung fand Peckinpah bei einem seiner Stars: Charlton Heston hing so an dem Projekt, dass er dem Regisseur aus eigener Tasche den Nachdreh der geplanten Szenen finanzierte. Sony Pictures bringt nun anlässlich des 40-jährigen Geburtstags des Films das ergänzte Werk ins Kino, in dem es um einen in Ungnade gefallenen Nordstaaten-Offizier am Ende des amerikanischen Bürgerkriegs geht, der einen Apachen jagt. Ende des Jahres soll die DVD-Veröffentlichung folgen.
Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
4LOM
Administrator

BeitragVerfasst am: 01 Jun 2005 13:18    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Die DVD erscheint im August 2005 auch in Deutschland. Hier der entsprechende Thread.
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen    DVDuell.de Forum Foren-Übersicht -> Code-1 ::: USA | Kanada :::.. Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Seite 1 von 1

Gehe zu:  
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.